Monday, June 27, 2011

Christmas Surprises!

    I've got two projects in the works that are Christmas surprises! Yes, it's a little early. But, I'd rather have things done way ahead of time than be rushed at the last minute. So ... I have two Christmas surprises in the works. = )

    Here are a couple peeks at the fabrics involved. The recipients will probably be able to figure out who they are by the fabrics involved, but that's ok. They won't be able to see the grand design. The first is from Lily & Will II and the second is from French General (both by Moda).

Monday, June 20, 2011

Two More Finishes!

    I got TWO projects finished last week! It was a very productive week, indeed.

    First, I put the final touches on my Summer placemats. If you'll remember, I did some Grandmother's flowers with hexes and scraps. I decided to applique them onto solid white, back them with a sunny yellow tonal, and bind in yellow, too. I started out hand quilting them, but quickly gave that up. Hand quilting through 5 layers is no picnic! (At the edge of the flower there's 1. flower fabric, 2. turned under hem, 3. white background, 4. batting, 5. backing)

    Anyway, I resorted to machine quilting. It's the first time I've done that (other than practicing on scraps). Didn't turn out too bad. All straight-line, of course. Not nearly confident enough to try free motion ...

    Second, I finished the scrappy baby girl quilt I made for my friend. I decided to machine-quilt it, too. Again, all straight lines. = ) It turned out cute. However, I think I like the look of hand-quilting better. Looks a little more ... oh ... primitive, unique.  I just like it better that way.

    So, now I only have four things going. Addison's big quilt is on my frame and about 30% quilted. I have almost all the blocks done for Jericho's big quilt. Will probably start laying it out and putting it together sometime in the next week or so. I have a couple "surprise" Christmas gifts in the works, too. = ) Oh! I almost forgot, I purchased a charm pack of the Grand Finale fall collection to use in my Autumn placemats. Need to find a pattern!  Plus, I think I want to try a rag quilt sometime soon ...

    So many possibilities!! = )

Fresh Poppy Design

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Liberated Wedding Ring - Finished!

    I got the inspiration for this beauty here. I got the fabrics for her at the International Quilt Festival in Cincinnati, Ohio the first week of April. And now, she's finished!

    I ended up not using the black quilting thread. It looked awful. I think there was too much contrast between the cream background fabric and black. It just didn't look right. So, I pulled it out and started over with cream colored thread.

    The center of the cream square has an eight-point star in it. Not sure you can see it too well in the photos. I also quilted in each individual piece of colored fabric. It took a little while! = )

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scrappy Baby Girl Quilt

    A friend of mine is having a baby girl in August. I decided to make her a crib quilt. Imagine. = ) As I looked at patterns and considered fabrics, I really wanted to do it as economically as I could. So, I got an idea ...

    I decided to try a snake quilt. You take 2 1/2  inch strips and sew them together end-to-end, ending up with a very long 2 1/2 inch strip. Then, you sew one end to the other. This will make a 4 1/2 inch strip that's half as long as the original strip. You repeat this until your quilt is appropriately sized.

    Well, I pulled out all of my red, pink and purple scraps and cut a big pile of 2 1/2 inch strips of varying lengths. I sewed them all together and ended up with a very long strip--approximately 825 inches long!

    I sewed it in half (cutting at the halfway fold) four times. It ended up a quilt top approximately 32 1/2 inches by 52 inches. It seemed a little too long, so I trimmed it back to 44 inches in length.

    So far, my baby girl quilt hadn't cost me a dime! Well, I thought about going to pick out something for backing. Then a wild and crazy idea went through my head. What if I could make the whole thing for nothing. What if it was completely fashioned from upcycled and on-hand materials.

    So ... I found this piece of fabric that I had and was big enough for the back. It's not an exact match, but I think it works just fine. I have purple quilting thread that will look awesome in a swirly pattern!!

    Only problem is I don't have any batting on hand. Hmmm ... I think I might try recycling an old blanket.

    This is actually turning out pretty cool!

Fresh Poppy Design